Helliars Resort History
Nestor Falls – Lake of the woods
Charlie and Florence Helliar moved to Nestor Falls from Rainy River, Ontario in the spring of 1936. They had lost their bakery business to a disastrous fire in February of that year. Hwy 71 was close to opening up to “traffic” after several years of depression-era construction. Both Charlie and Florence’s father Harvey worked on the highway crew. Helliar’s Resort’s grand opening was the same day as Highway 71, on July 1st 1936.
Les was born that spring and sister Linda came along in 1940. The business was very difficult until the end of World War Two. After that things began to flourish and Charlie continued to add and improve on accommodations. Les took on his young uncle Stan Cottam as a partner in the 50’s and the two worked together for 37 years.
Florence and Charlie retired in 1974 and Les & Stan and their wives Ethel and Judy together with their families operated the resort for a number of years. Stan and Judy retired a few years ago. Ethel passed away in 2011. Today the business is largely run by Glen and Wayne Helliar and Gloria, with a little help for the old guy Les. Most of our staff have been with us for several years.
The perfect spot
Plan your next vacation!
Helliar’s Family Fishing Resort – Nestor Falls
Lake of the Woods